Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Fantasy football, good or bad for the game?

Fantasy football has become a phenomenon. Men get together drink some beer and draft their teams. John picks a tight end two rounds too early, and everyone gives him a hard time about it. I was at my live fantasy draft last night and had a good time. I meet six new people and had a good time for two hours (no beer mom). At one point one of the guys was just making terrible picks in my view and I made a comment that if he wins this year I am never playing again. Fantasy adds a different element to the game of football.

Sure you are going to cheer for your favorite team, but you are also going to cheer for the players that are on your fantasy team. Some football purists hate the idea of fantasy (Skip Bayless) because they are afraid it takes away from the game. I have to argue the other side.

I believe that fantasy adds to the game of football. Calvin Johnson receiver for the Detroit Lions is a top 5 receiver in the NFL. I know that only one of the Lions games will be on national TV this year, but if they were on more, how many people would watch the Lions after a 0-16 season? That is were fantasy football helps the game of football. If someone had Calvin Johnson on their fantasy team or Kevin Smith the running back (like me!) they would be more interested in the game, and more likely to watch the game.

ESPN has embraced the idea of fantasy football. They have websites, TV shows, live stat trackers, and magazines dedicated to fantasy football. They realized that fantasy has become part of football. Other websites that are not usually associated with sports have jumped on to the fantasy football bandwagon. CBS, FOX, and now even Yahoo offer free fantasy football. So the question asked is, does fantasy football help or hurt the game of football? I believe it helps, what do you think?

More than sport, it is life.

No comments:

Post a Comment